Sudanic Africa 2, 1991.
Dissertations in African History at the University of Bergen
The following lists 'Hovedfag' or major field dissertations in African History
presented at the Department of History, University of Bergen. Unless otherwise
indicated, all are in English and may be borrowed through the Interlibrary Loan
- Anders Bjørkelo, 'State and society in three central Sudanic
kingdoms: Kanem-Bornu, Bagirmi and Wadai' (1976).
- Olav Digernes, 'Appearance and reality in the southern Sudan: a
study of the British administration of the Nuer, 1900-1930' (1978).
- Geir Dolmen, 'Buganda og Bunyoro ca. 1800 til 1900 - holdning,
reaksjon og utvikling [Buganda and Bunyoro c. 1800 to 1900 - attitude,
reaction and development]' (1976).
- Svein Ege, 'Chiefs and peasants. The socio-political structure of
the kingdom of Shäwa about 1840' (1979).
- Eli B. Eidsvig, 'Den gifte kvinnes stilling i endel vestafrikanske
samfunn [The position of married women in some West African communities]'
- Børge Fredriksen, 'Slavery and its abolition in nineteenth
century Egypt' (1977).
- Kjell Hødnebø, 'Cattle and flies. A study of
cattle-keeping in Equatoria Province, the southern Sudan, 1850-1950' (1981).
- Bjarne O. Holmedal, 'The Gordon Memorial College' (1988).
- Kirsten A. Kjerland, 'The fetters of memory. The changing pattern
of marriage among the Ja'aliyyin, 1915 to 1981' (1982).
- Willy Pettersen, 'The few and the many. From direct to indirect
rule in Darfur, 1916-1936' (1986).
- Awad A. Radaf, 'Sudan gum. A history of its production and trade up
to 1982' (1983).
- P.K. Rasmussen, 'Morocco, Mawlay Muhammad and Georg Høst.
Four Scandinavian accounts on Morocco in the reign of Sultan Muhammad III,
c. 1750-1790' (1989).
- Bente Torsvik, 'Receiving the gifts of Allah. The establishment of
a modern midwifery service in the Sudan, 1920-1937' (1983).
- Terje Tvedt, 'Water and politics. A history of the Jonglei project
in the southern Sudan' (1984).
- Torbjørn Tvedt, 'Colonial technicians. The Sudan veterinary
service, 1898-1956' (1983).
- Knut S. Vikør, 'The oasis of salt. The history of Kawar, a
Saharan centre of salt production' (1979).
© The author and Sudanic Africa.